- Voltaire
I am a frequent visitor, and a fan, of the site You Tube because I have always seen it as a great proponent of free speech and open forum. Anyone from around the world (granted they have internet access) is able to upload a video, where in this video, they can express any opinion or belief they hold, as well as reply to other videos with their credit or criticism.
Or so I thought.
Please note I am well aware that YouTube does need some form of moderating as many users abuse certain aspects of the website (there are also occasions where users break copy-right laws from plagiarizing third party material). Granted those terms, it still should leave users free to upload their own videos expressing their opinions. Okay, now to get to the point.
I noticed that one of the users on YouTube I had subscribed to had one of their videos go missing rather abruptly. To my knowledge, this user has never had one of their video's taken down, so I found it rather odd and did some investigating (the video I am talking about has been reposted here).
So why and how did the video get taken down? Prepare to be shocked (or not).
“uttering profanities against Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) is the worst form of human rights violation in the world. Attacks on the values and tenets of Islam are extremely dangerous and unacceptable.”
That's right! It seems the free speech and open forum I enjoy so much at YouTube caves to the "authority" of religious beliefs and crazy fundamentalists.
That quote is quite a mouthful. Interesting how Dr. Adel Al-Damkhi feels free to spew his own beliefs and opinions when he seems so quick to shut opposing views up. He even goes as far as to say that criticizing his religious beliefs is worse then holding him hostage for the entirety of his life while subjecting him to the worst torture imaginable. But then again, that's probably right in line with his religious morals.
If this is the case then I am truly a horrible, horrible person.
As a final note, I hope that YouTube will unblock this video, and in the future allow people to express their opinions. Yet another case of religion getting more respect and authority then it deserves. At least this time no one has been killed over it. Yet.
If this is the case then I am truly a horrible, horrible person.
As a final note, I hope that YouTube will unblock this video, and in the future allow people to express their opinions. Yet another case of religion getting more respect and authority then it deserves. At least this time no one has been killed over it. Yet.


No comments:
Post a Comment